Monday, November 17, 2008

Novel Study: Journal Entry #1 ( The Kite Runner)

In the book "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hossini the following quote "but he's not my friend! I almost blurted. He's my servant!" (page44) This got me thinking that so if someone does something for you are they your friend or are they your servant? How does one really think of those around them? Something else that also got me thinking was when Amir said "I treated Hassan well, just like a friend, better even, more like a brother." That should get everyone thinking can someone be both your friend and your servant or even more than that?

If someone was just to do something out of the blue for you without you asking them to don’t hold it against them because you never know if they will do something like that again. Some people stand up for others and half the time don’t really expect it in return right away but they would hope that you would do the say thing for them. I have been in a spot like that a few times before where I have misunderstood what was going on in that point in time when I was being put down and someone stood up for me. But when I saw them getting picked on I just walked on by because I thought I couldn’t do anything about it. But now I have a different outlook on stuff I feel that if someone does something for me I should do something in return for them. Just like what Hassan’s did for Amir when they were stopped by Assef. Assef was going to fight Amir but Hassan was standing behind him with a slingshot and wasn’t going to let go till Assef made the first move to come closer to them. So if someone is going to stand up for you be a friend and do the same. Also if you were to take someone out to dinner or something and you pay it’s a treat. Don’t make the other person pay for it later on just because you feel it’s the need for them to pay you back. That’s like making them your servant because you either want them to pay you back the money or to do something for you. I have been in something like that before a friend or so I thought took me to dinner and they ended up making me pay for it later they wanted me to pay them back everything they paid. But I thought it was kind of stupid I some how thought of a way to make up the money for what I got that day for dinner and I give it to them and than told them to never talk to me again. I consider most of my friends as brothers or sisters they mean a lot to me and they feel the same way towards me I hope. I would consider anyone who is willing to talk to me about anything and everything and listen to what I have to say it’s a true friend.

No comments: